Top 5 benefits of lemon essential oil, one of the most anticipated topics that we all would be interested in talking about.
Although essential oils for health and wellness is something we have talked about earlier on the platform, but lemons are always interesting.
What reminds you when I say Lemons?
I am sure this weirdly amazing yellow item that is most suited in our household is mostly known for its amazing smell and taste, right?
As soon as we think of something yellow but also something refreshing lemon.
But on a general note!!
Lemons usually would remind you of freshness and its tangy flavor or maybe the lemon and sugar juice on a hot, scorching sunny day. But did you know lemons are more than just freshness and its tangy flavor, and that is precisely what we are going to talk about today, its properties and benefits.
Essential oils are generally well known for their properties and are nowadays used for various purposes such as essential oils for allergies, essential oils for weight loss, and essential oils for sleep and essential oils for anxiety.
So, starting off with
- WHAT IS LEMON ESSENTIAL OIL?
- PROPERTIES OF LEMON ESSENTIAL OILS
- TOP 5 BENEFITS OF LEMON ESSENTIAL OIL
- THE DO’s and DON’Ts OF USING LEMON ESSENTIAL OIL
- CONCLUDING STATEMENT
WHAT IS LEMON ESSENTIAL OIL?
It cannot be any easier than what it actually sounds, so lemon essential oil is basically extracts of lemon in a concentrated form. Thus the top 5 benefits of lemon essential oil are essentially the benefits of lemon indirectly.
So coming back to lemon essential oils and making lemon essential oil, these are concentrated oils extracted from the peel of lemons using various processes but the most well-known one being “cold-pressing.”
In a simpler term, imagine how you squeeze out the lemon juice from fresh lemons using just a hand press kitchen utensil, well it’s almost similar to that, but in this case, the lemon peels are pressed in a much harder way so as to release the amazing oils from it.
Now that you somewhat know what is lemon essential oil lets directly move to the high of this article that you all might have been waiting for top 5 benefits of lemon essential oil.
But wait before leaning into the benefits let’s see a brief view of what exactly does lemon have in it, in simpler terms, the properties of lemon essential oil that make it beneficial to us.
PROPERTIES OF LEMON ESSENTIAL OILS
Now, this can be a bit difficult, because if we start looking into the properties, it will not stop, so in order to make it easier for us, I have noted down just the most promising properties of the lemon essential oil, which somehow would relate to the top 5 benefits of lemon essential oil.
- Anti-anxiety– Lemons are known for their freshness and thus are highly studied for its effects on anxiety and depression. It has been seen that lemon extracts, when used on mice, have shown some promising effects as an anti-anxiety.
- Anti-microbial properties- Although most essential oils are well known for its anti-microbial properties, but lemon essential oil, tea tree essential oils, and lavender essential oils are a few of the most profound ones.
- Anti-oxidant property- Anti-oxidant basically means compounds that would not allow oxidants or rather an oxidation process. But why to stop the oxidation process or affect the process somehow?
So see what mainly happens is the oxidation process produces some radicals that might damage our skin cells; thus, element like lemon, which is high in Vitamin C, has the property to take in all the radicals, therefore an antioxidant property.
Yeah, I think this would be enough for us, now coming to the
TOP 5 BENEFITS OF LEMON ESSENTIAL OIL
So what does lemon essential oil do to your body? How do we benefit from it? Let’s find out.
In today’s world, every health and wellness element is well studied for both its benefits and all its potentially harmful effects. Thus to say that essential oils or to be specific lemon essential oil is free of all detrimental effects would be foolishness.
But yeah, this is for sure that the benefits of lemon essential oil are more well studied than its ill effects, and more studies are claiming the benefits of lemon essential oil than otherwise.
So with that thought, let’s talk about the top 5 benefits of lemon essential oil and see what lemon essential oil is good for.
#1 COLD AND SORE THROAT
Lemon essential oils can be used to treat cold, but it’s not advisable to ingest it. Most of the essential oils are not consumable. Lemon essential oils are good with microbes, inhaling the aroma can loosen up our throat and heal it.
- Add some lemon essential oil(5-6 drops)+host streaming water, then inhale the steam; this will help you remove the irritation in your throat and nose.
- You can also take a few drops of lemon essential oil on your palm, rub it between your palms and then cup it near your face and inhale the aroma directly.
#2 LEMON ESSENTIAL OIL FOR ACNE
We just saw that one of the significant properties of lemon is that it acts as an antimicrobial agent; this property correctly explains why it is used as an acne-treating agent.
Lemons have potent ingredients that help in killing microbes that cause acne such as Staphylococcus and E.coli.
There are other elemental effects of lemon on the skin, but this is one of the most prominent ones.
Take a few drops of lemon essentials oil, aloe vera gel and apply on your acne marks; if in case you have active painful acne, kindly don’t consider applying on those. That can worsen the condition.
#3 LEMON ESSENTIAL OIL FOR BATH
Surprisingly lemon essential oils have a soothing effect on our mind and body; in fact, you would have noticed that people quite often talk about adding essential oils in their bath.
With the calming and refreshing aroma of lemon, you will feel rejuvenated whenever you are tired and lazy to work. Not only will it help you awaken your senses, but its anti-microbial property will help you clean your body anyways.
Thus add a few drops of lemon essential oil when you draw your bath, around 5-6 drops in lukewarm water.
#4 LEMON ESSENTIAL OIL FOR ANTI-AGEING
You must have heard about people and doctors telling about Vitamin C and how it acts as an anti-aging element. But where do you get these Vitamin C?? Unfortunately, they can’t be found in the air like Vitamin D from the sun.
In these cases, if you want to avoid all those chemically treated creams claiming to be Vitamin C enriched, you have to go natural…lemons are a great source of Vitamin C and thus are quite well known for the anti-aging element.
- Add 4-5 drops of lemon essential oi l+ aloe vera gel -mix it
- Apply this mixture as a night cream
#5 LEMON ESSENTIAL OIL FOR DANDRUFF
We all deal with dandruff problems some way or the other; dandruff is mostly caused due to dry, flaky scalps.
Lemon juice is always said to work in these cases; lemon oils have the same effect. The use of lemon essential oil along with some carrier oil can help you get rid of your dandruff in just a few weeks.
In fact studies have shown the effect of lemon for these uses or its potential uses.
- Add 4-5 drops of lemon essential oil + carrier oil(coconut, olive, almond oil), and apply on your scalp regularly, at least 3 times a week.
- Take 7-8 drops of essential oil+ add it to your shampoo and wash it with it whenever you use your shampoo.
Now that you know the top 5 benefits of lemon essential oil and lemon essential oil used mainly, one needs to understand a bit about how to use lemon essential oils.
THE DO’s and DON’Ts OF USING LEMON ESSENTIAL OIL
Yes, there are a thousand ways you can use lemon essential oil for, and few of them are even misunderstood by many of us; that is why to let’s see how to gain the top 5 benefits of lemon essential oil to use the oil correctly.
- Do use the essential oil for your hair, skin, and body… But not in a concentrated form
- In most cases, use the essential oil with some carrier oil or dilute it in some other way like use it with cream, gels, face wash, etc.
- Do keep these essential oils away from children.
- In order to keep the oil and its effect long-lasting, keep it in the dark and cold place.
- Do take medical advice if you are unsure of its use and effects.
- Do not use the essential oil directly on your skin; it can burn your skin…you can use it for spot treatment, though.
- Do not try and heat the essential oil; it is very active and can evaporate easily.
- Try not to keep the essential oil in sunlight; it deactivates its elements.
- Do not ingest the lemon essential oil; it’s not FDA approved for eating.
- Avoid using it for children and pregnant women
I know some of the treatment and benefits might be known to you, and some might not, but it’s better to have it in a place where you can check if what you think is actually right or not. There are many benefits that one can come across for any kind of essential oil, and it’s quite obvious because science has its way to discover new things every day. But we have tried to give you the most trusted and most essential uses and benefits of lemon essential oil.
Although this article is mainly for informational purposes, there might be few things that you are unsure of, and those are to be addressed with care with an actual doctor around you.
Remember, essential oils are one of the most natural ways of using any element in the world, and its use is much appreciated by many from lifting up your mood to help you with your skin and hair care problems.