- IMPORTANCE OF SLEEP
- ESSENTIAL OILS FOR SLEEP AND RELAXATION
- OTHER ESSENTIAL OILS FOR SLEEP:
- Essential oils that you must avoid to get better sleep:
- HOW TO USE ESSENTIAL OILS FOR SLEEP
- Precaution for using essential oils
- OTHER REMEDIES FOR SLEEP
- BOTTOM LINE
“ Sleep is an investment in the energy you need to be effective tomorrow ”
Do you find it difficult to sleep?
Do you struggle every time you think of going to sleep?
Then it’s high time you consider essential oils for sleep.
In today’s world every other person complains of suffering from sleep deprivation or insomnia like problems which later on affects their health somehow, but did you know essential oils for sleep have been a way to deal with this problem, let’s find out more about it.
Sleep is one of the essential elements and a kind of activity than one should stress more on.
Not getting enough sleep is medically called suffering from sleep deprivation conditions; poor quality or insufficient amount of sleep can interfere with other problems in your body, starting from physical challenges to emotional imbalance.
There have been scientific studies that have claimed the efficiency of essential oils for sleep and anxiety. People, in general, have been anyways using essential oils for many other health issues like essential oils for anxiety, essential oils for allergy, etc.
Many people very often suggest the use of aromatherapy as a remedy for sleep disorders.
In this article, you will get to know how and what are the ways to use essential oils for sleep. We shall also study the basic necessity of sleep, and the most current research works on essential oils and sleep. You will also get to known what are the best essential oils for sleep and relaxation.
Below lies the flow with which we will be moving forward with this article for a better understanding:
- Importance of proper sleep
- Essential oils for sleep
- How to use essential oils for sleep
- Precaution of using essential oils
- Other remedies for sleep
- Bottom line
IMPORTANCE OF SLEEP
Statistically, data has revealed that about 20% of the people in our society are sleep deprived either due to stress in work, odd-work life, personal obligation, or other related worries .
Many health-related problems, such as chronic disorders, obesity, blood pressure, and mental health, are directly affected by insufficient sleep and can lead to serious problems .
For the proper functioning of our body, an active sleeping pattern is very much necessary. The metabolism and brain cell are profoundly affected, and one might feel the inability to do things .
Sleep deprivation causes adverse effects on our body, such as:
- The functioning of our brain is effected
- Emotional instability
- Heart and kidney diseases
- High blood pressure
- Gain in weight
- Hormonal imbalance
- The immune system gets weak
- Performance anxiety
The problem in sleep may be caused due to various reasons such as jobs with long hours of work, particular medication or medical issues such as anxiety, depression, and stress.
ESSENTIAL OILS FOR SLEEP AND RELAXATION
With the growing problem of sleep deprivation and people who have insomnia, it has caused a great deal of concern among all the people to reach out for help to solve it.
But not everyone wants a medical or rather pharmaceutical chemical intake of drugs in order to deal with it; on the contrary, people are looking out for an alternative for these medications with natural remedies.
Even though essential oils have been in the market and are well known for many health benefits, somehow the research on essential oils for sleep has been shadowed a little, there are evidence but very few to support the cause.
But now it’s important to know what essential oils are good for sleep , so here I have listed the top 5 best essential oils for sleep
#1 LAVENDER ESSENTIAL OIL FOR SLEEP
The numerous potential oil lavender is quite popular, and one of its most prominent feature being the ability to calm our nervous system and help us fall asleep.
It helps our body to feel the calmness when inhaled, and their uses are beneficial in many ways as it also helps with anxiety, blood pressure, heart rate, etc.
Researches have opted for lavender oils for its properties of increasing slow-sleep waves; it is said to help us relax our body and muscles, thus proving a sensation of calmness and thus promoting restful sleep.
Scientific research works:
- A study in 2014 worked on the analysis of the efficiency of lavender oil and perceived quality of sleep; the study involved 50 patients for the pilot study. It was found that the sleep score was relatively higher for the people who were using lavender oil, and they concluded by saying that lavender oil may be effective was to improve sleep .
- Another study conducted in 2010 showed how aromatherapy with lavender oil helped improve the sleeping pattern in patients with heart diseases.
- Nursing in Critical Care in 2017 published an article that says that 60 people with heart-related problems when treated with 2% lavender oil as inhalation showed improved sleep quality and helped reduce anxiety.
#2 CEDARWOOD ESSENTIAL OIL FOR SLEEP
A few researches have studied the influences of cedar wood on sleep.
One of the most important properties of cedarwood is that it gives a warm and soothing sensation, and thus when inhaled, it can quickly calm and improve our mood.
The blended form of cedar, along with other essential oils, works the best for inducing sleep, and thus essential oils for sleep are created by the mixture of many essences to give a strong effect.
Studies have also found that the cedar has a sedative effect on our body.
Studies on cedar wood for sleep:
- A study in 2008 was performed in order to investigate the effect of cedar essence on sleep-wake states of rats as well as its influence on sleep in a human daytime nap. It was found that in humans, the effect of cedarwood on sleep was positive, and the disturbance in sleep was significantly shortened.
- In another study, the scientist worked on adults who were suffering from dementia, and they were given a blended form of essential oils, which primarily included cedarwood, pine oil, Virginia, etc. to see its effect on the patients.
It was observed that the total sleep time was increased with the use of essential oils.
#3 SAGE ESSENTIAL OIL FOR SLEEP
Clary sage has been well known for its relaxation properties. There are very few research works solely on sage oil and its effect on sleep, but its use is quite broad.
Its natural sedative and calming effect help a person to fall asleep quite quickly.
Apart from its properties to inhibit sleep deprivation, it is also useful for maintaining the right hormone level in specific the cortisol level, which is primarily known for its sleep-inducing properties.
Studies on sage essential oil for sleep:
- A study in 2012 aimed to investigate the effect of clary sage or lavender essential oils on females’ nervous systems. It concluded by saying that the inhalation of clary sage oil helped in relaxing the females and thus maybe helps in better sleep patterns .
# 4 CHAMOMILE ESSENTIAL OILS FOR SLEEP
In general, chamomile essential oils are highly beneficial and are also used for digestion problems, ulcers, and sleep disorders.
It has been highly used as a sleeping aid by many people and has an excellent promoting property for a good night’s sleep.
Studies on chamomile essential oils for sleep:
- A 2019 research shows the effect of chamomile and lavender essential oil for decreasing anxiety and improving the quality of sleep in patients with burns. They used aromatherapy massage with these essential oils and found its effects as anti-anxiety and also improved sleep.
- Another study conducted among older adults who were 60 in number, out of the 60 half of them, was provided with capsules of chamomile extract, and its effect was noted.
It was noticed that there was a significant increase in sleep quality for people who used chamomile pills.
#5 ROSE AND GERANIUM
These two essential oils help in proving the freshness and calmness at the same time.
The beautiful aroma of these essential oils helps to soothe our system and make us fall asleep.
It helps in reducing stress and anxiety as well. It is also known as the goodnight oil.
The sweet and floral fragrance of geranium and rose keeps our body and mind healthy and relaxed and acts wondrously as a natural sedative agent.
Geranium oil is highly famous for treating stress and insomnia, it is known for its natural sedative actions
OTHER ESSENTIAL OILS FOR SLEEP:
Want to know some more essential oils for sleep and anxiety? Here is the list
- Vanilla essential oil
- Bergamot essential oil
- Valerian oil
- Ylang Ylang oil
Essential oils that you must avoid to get better sleep:
Now that you have got an idea of the best essential oils for sleep it’s also important to known what will not work for you.
Certain essential oils awaken our whole body and make you feel fresh, which in a way is good and benefited thing, but you certainly don’t want them for your sleep.
- Citrus essential oil
- Peppermint essential oil
- Sandalwood essential oil
HOW TO USE ESSENTIAL OILS FOR SLEEP
There are many ways that one can incorporate essential oils into their daily life to get better sleep. I have listed down the possible ways you can use essential oils for sleep.
- Massage(Topical application)- Applying few drops of essential oil along with some carrier oil on your feet, sole, neck, or palm can help make the whole body relaxed as the essential oil is absorbed into the body. Take 5-6 drops of sage or lavender essential oil mix it with a generous amount of some carrier oil like coconut/olive oil, and apply it on your body.
- Add it in your bath water- One of the great ways to relax your body is while you are taking a dip in your bath water, applying few drops of essential oil can help you relax and fall asleep.
How to use it?
– Add 4-5 drops of rose essential oil in a tub of warm water and soak your feet in it.
– Add one spoon of lavender and geranium essential oil in the warm water and take a water bath for 30mins to 90 mins at least.
- Inhale it- Aromatherapy is the best-known form of using an essential oil, especially for sleep.
Add a few drops of any essential oil that are known for sleep-inducing properties in a diffuser and keep it in your room 30 mins before you go to sleep.
- Use it as a mist– spray diluted form of essential oil on your face and other parts of your body before going to sleep.
Precaution for using essential oils
- Make sure you dilute the essential oil before applying it directly to your skin; otherwise, it might lead to skin burn.
- Consult a doctor if you are pregnant or want to use to on your children, there are few essential oils that are dedicated to them.
- Try not to intake essential oils in a concentrated form or in general as all essential oils are not meant for consumption.
- Do a patch test before using on the skin as you might be allergic to certain essential oils.
OTHER REMEDIES FOR SLEEP
- Going to bed early and having a fixed routine
- Maintain a scheduled sleeping pattern
- Try to get at least 6-7 hours of sleep daily.
- Avoid having large meals before going to sleep.
- Avoid the intake of alcohol or other drugs that might disturb your sleep.
- Try to lower down the intake of caffeine.
Every essential oil has its own unique property, but it’s very much clear that every essential oil has multiple uses. Although they might be known for one single use, that is its powerful potential, but all essential oils come along with a variety of health benefits.
Thus applying or incorporating essential oils in your route in not only will help you improve your sleeping pattern but might as well help you deal with other crucial health-related problems.
Having said so, the evidence and actual reason or the mechanisms of action of these essential oils are still not appropriately studied. Thus it’s better to consult a doctor before indulging yourself in using these essential oils; it’s better to take precautions than suffering from some side effects.