- WHAT IS ANXIETY?
- ESSENTIAL OILS FOR ANXIETY
- HOW TO USE ESSENTIAL OILS FOR ANXIETY
- Other essential oils that might work for anxiety:
- SAFETY PRECAUTIONS TO USE ESSENTIAL OILS
- Other remedies for anxiety
- CONCLUDING STATEMENT
You might have heard people say they have so much of STRESS and ANXIETY disorder, well its time you suggest them essential oils for anxiety. But wait you certainly need to understand why to suggest someone essential oils for anxiety and stress, here in this article you will be able to explore the kinds and ways the essential oils help with stress and anxiety.
With the ever-growing stressful circumstances that one faces in their day to day life disorders, life anxiety and stress is quite inevitable. Our brain has a different way to rule our body, and if not taken care of them properly may cause other health-related problems.
Anxiety, in general, is a kind of emotion and is quite often provoked by some situation that has happened or that can happen in the future. One’s ability to overreact on specific scenarios also happens to be a reason for anxiety.
Essential oils, on the other hand, somehow tend to have its way around to deal with these monstrous your head. The calming and smoothening sensation of essential oils helps us to find our inner peace and relax. Essential oils are anyways quite popular due to their aromatic smell and incredible smells, which can give a positive vibe to us and our bodies.
So to know more about the anxiety and the essential oils that you can use for anxiety, please keep on reading.
I have listed down the basic flow with which this article will go in order to make it more convenient for you
- What is anxiety?
- Essential oils for anxiety
- How to use essential oils for anxiety
- Safety precautions to use essential oils
- Other remedies for anxiety
- Concluding statement
Starting off with the basic of anxiety
WHAT IS ANXIETY?
Description: Anxiety can mess with your mind and wellbeing, thus needs to be treated well.
As mentioned earlier, anxiety is nothing more than the involuntary overreaction of our thoughts about some external factors. Over 284 million people all around the world are said to be suffering from an anxiety disorder in a study of 2017 studied by the Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation, which was reported in the Global Burden of Disease study.
The definition and characteristics of anxiety may vary from person to person. Still, the main gist remains the same; in fact, the American Psychological Association (APA) gives a definition of anxiety as :
“An emotion characterized by feelings of tension, worried thoughts, and physical changes like increased blood pressure.”
Although there are stages of anxiety and even though most people loosely tend to use the word “anxiety disorder” it’s not always is a medical condition. There is a meaningful difference between anxiety and anxiety disorder.
Difference between anxiety and anxiety disorder
Anxiety is an emotion that is caused by your brain’s reaction to stress or any potential danger; being anxious is very common among people, and everyone feels anxious every now and then. For example, a stress full work stress, waiting for your results to come out, before giving a presentation of performance before a broad audience.
Thus most of the “flight or fight” response can lead to anxiety, and the feeling of nervousness under challenging situations is precisely how anxiety hits your head.
But this is nowhere related to anxiety disorder; anxiety disorder comes along with other physical and nervous problems.
These involve a group of other health features such as fear and mental illnesses that trigger one’s brain to act towards anxiousness but at a higher level.
APA also states that “People with anxiety disorders usually have recurring intrusive thoughts or concerns. They may avoid certain situations out of worry. They may also have physical symptoms such as sweating, trembling, dizziness, or a rapid heartbeat.”
ESSENTIAL OILS FOR ANXIETY
Although the uses of essential oils for our well-being are quite famous and every essential oil has its property and claims to have some of the other health benefits, there are essential oils best situated for anxiety. I have listed here the best essential oils for anxiety; you should definitely try.
The uses of essential oils and its properties are still being studied about, and there are contracting statements for essential oils for anxiety as well.
#1. LAVENDER ESSENTIAL OIL FOR ANXIETY
One of the most popular essential oil that has health benefits beyond imagination can also apparently be used for anxiety. The use of lavender essential oil for anxiety has been studied by many researchers as well.
You might have noticed the use of lavender essential oils in many spas and hotels; the main reason for doing so is to calm down your mental status and gives a feeling of relaxation, thus helping with anxiety issues.
- Studies have said that lavender essential oil contains a compound called linalool that plays a significant role in helping with anxiety. Studies have suggested that inhaling this compound affects our nervous system and acts as anti-anxiety. agent
- A study conducted in 2009 claims that using lavender essential oils significantly helped lower anxiety levels in surgical patients
#2. LEMON/ORANGE ESSENTIAL OIL FOR ANXIETY
Lemon has long been known for refreshment right, but did you known it’s also claimed to be good enough for treating anxiety.
Orange or Lemon essential oils are naturally known to be a good stress releaser and also a mood enhancer. Thus inhaling lemon essential oil can boost up your mood as well as enhance it.
- Researchers say that lemon essential oil has the potential to stimulate the production of serotonin and dopamine, which in turn contributes to lowering our anxiety.
- A study in 2012 investigates the effect of orange essential oils on hemodialysis patients who are likely to experiment anxiety.
The study concluded by saying that the essential oil was capable of reducing the traits of anxiety in the patient without any side effects.
#3. ROSEMARY ESSENTIAL OIL FOR ANXIETY
Rosemary has been that essential oil in use since ancient times; they are highly valued for its effect on our brains and central nervous systems.
It has been studied on various occasions, and research indicates tissue prevents the breakdown of acetylcholine, which is an essential chemical required for thinking and helps with improving one’s memory.
- A study in the year 2009 investigated the effects of lavender and rosemary essential oil on the anxiety level among graduate nursing students. It was found that the use of this combined essential oil reduced stress and anxiety in the students.
- Another study evaluated the effects of oil on a person’s memory, anxiety, depression, as well as sleep.
The study showed that the effects of rosemary were significant in lowering anxiety and depression and was an excellent enhancer of memory and sleep.
#4. VETIVER ESSENTIAL OIL
Although Vetiver is a very unique essential oil, but it is very rarely used and not that popular.
But its effects on your anxiety can shock you; vetiver is a kind of herb and is highly proposed for its potential to calm our nervous system and promote sleep.
It acts as a natural sedative agent and also acts as a natural anti-anxiety agent. It is known to be free, helps us loosen our body muscle, relax our diaphragm, and give us the feeling of calm, thus helping us from any anxiety.
• Although the survey is mainly investigated in rats, the effects can also be carried in humans. The study shows how anxiety level was lowered in rats using this essential oil, although more research needs to be done mostly on humans, but it does show potential.
#5. BERGAMOT ESSENTAIL OIL FOR ANXIENTY
The use of bergamot oil for anxiety has a well defined to it. This essential oil is also similar to oranges as it smells very similar to the citrus smell.
As it’s more in the citrus side, it is said to be avoided during the day because it can lead to sunburn.
HOW TO USE ESSENTIAL OILS FOR ANXIETY
Essential oils for anxiety can be mainly used in two ways, or rather is preferred to be used in these two ways mentioned below:
• Inhaling- Inhaling essential oils for anxiety is one of the best ways to incorporate it into your life. Either use it by spraying it in your room or use the essential oils in the diffuser for a long-lasting effect.
You can also take small amount onto your palm and then inhale the essence by cupping your plan around your mouth and nose.
One of the other ways to inhale and use an essential oil is by steam inhaling it, add 5-6 drops of essential oil into boiling water and try to inhale the steam coming out of the boiler; this not only helps your mind and body to calm but also removes.
• Topical application- Applying essential oils on your pulse points like under your ear, the head can also help you calm down.
Getting a topical massage with carrier oil for an hour is also a way to deal with anxiety and stress.
Other essential oils that might work for anxiety:
- Ylang ylang essential oil
- Chamomile essential oil
- Rose essential oil
- Sage essential oil
- Basil essential oil
SAFETY PRECAUTIONS TO USE ESSENTIAL OILS
- Always dilute your essential oil with a carrier or oil whenever you apply on skin.
- Try and avoid using essential oil pill, it might not work as effectively as when you inhale it.
- Always do a patch test and observe its effect on your body 30 mins before its application.
- Try and avoid sun exposure after applying the oils on your skin; it might cause sunburn.
- Keep the essential oils away from kids and avoid using if you are pregnant may cause some issues.
- Always consult a doctor if you are unsure of its application and use. Or if you are dealing with some problems.
- Try keeping the essential oils in the dark and cold conditions, for a better long-lasting effect.
Other remedies for anxiety
• Exercise regularly– exercising can help maintain good health and mental status.
• Meditation and yoga- It helps to focus on your body, mind, and soul balance and thus helps to deal with anxiety and stress.
• Medication- if you are dealing with serve disorders, it’s suggested to consult a doctor and get some medication-related to anxiety that will help you internally.
• Proper sleep- Ones sleep cycle also messes up with our homes and mind; thus, anxiety disorders are very prone for people to deal thing with insomnia or sleep disorders.
Anxiety has become a significant mental health problem in the 21st century, and with our fast-paced lives, we tend to ignore our health and mental care. Anxiety can lead to many related health problems and are mostly caused due to a lack of sleep, eating disorders, and lifestyle. Essential oils and its use in aromatherapy have been in use for a long time, and it has helped a lot of people to relieve stress and help with one’s anxiety, insomnia, and even depression.
Having said so, not of this means information is to provide an alternative to a doctor’s opinion or is a substitute for a doctor’s treatment of advice. But incorporating it along with exercise and, if needed, prescribed medication may be a deal changer for you.