- BRIEF ABOUT WHAT IS APPLE CIDER VINEGAR
- SIDE EFFECTS OF APPLE CIDER VINEGAR
- TIPS TO USE APPLE CIDER VINEGAR SAFELY
- HOW TO PREVENT SIDE EFFECTS OF DRINKING APPLE CIDER VINEGAR
- CONCLUDING STATEMENT
What are the side effects of apple cider vinegar? Is it safe to consume apple cider vinegar every day? Are the side effects of drinking apple cider vinegar of any health concern?
I am sure these are few questions that might have popped in your head as soon as you get to know about the benefits of apple cider vinegar.
Our ongoing process to seek out for validation and rule out the curiosity to remove all the questions and doubts in our mind is something we humans are well known for. Today even though there are many beneficial aspects of apple cider vinegar that you might encounter, there would also be few people going out of the way to say otherwise.
With all the rows and talks about the benefits that one can gain by incorporating apple cider vinegar in their daily route in it can somehow backfire if not consumed or used with optimum care and knowledge. Either wrong usage or excess consumption of apple cider vinegar will lead to various side effects.
Let’s talk and know more about the side effects of drinking apple cider vinegar in detail today. People time and again have raised some concern regarding the same, and today we shall explore the grounds of consuming apple cider vinegar.
This article will give you a clear idea about the side affects you can expect while having apple cider vinegar and a few tips on how you can avoid having those side effects.
Here is an outline of how we are going to proceed with the article:
- BRIEF ABOUT WHAT IS APPLE CIDER VINEGAR
- SIDE EFFECTS OF DRINKING APPLE CIDER VINEGAR
- TIPS TO USE APPLE CIDER VINEGAR SAFELY
- HOW TO AVOID THE SIDE EFFECTS OF DRINKING APPLE CIDER VINEGAR
- CONCLUDING STATEMENT
- COMMON QUESTIONERS
BRIEF ABOUT WHAT IS APPLE CIDER VINEGAR
Today the use of apple cider vinegar is limitless; they are being used in almost all domains starting from using it as an ingredient in food dressing to skincare to use it as a health drink. Apple cider vinegar is an alcoholic product with about 1.2-8% of alcohol.
It is a fermented product made from apples during alcoholic fermentation, which further leads to another fermentation where the actual produce “vinegar” is formed, which is later named apple cider vinegar.
The critical element of apple cider vinegar is the presence of acetic acid that mainly gives the taste and smell to the product. This crucial element is a by-product formed called the “mother of vinegar,” which contains the probiotic microbes and enzymes .
SIDE EFFECTS OF APPLE CIDER VINEGAR
As discussed due to the acidic contents of the apple cider vinegar, it obviously becomes imperative to maintain precautions while consuming or using it. This acidic content may cause a few side effects that may cause some discomfort for you.
Here are lists of few health concerns that you might look into before planning to start using apple cider vinegar. There are two main categories that the side effects of apple cider vinegar can be categorized into Medicinal concerns, Personal concerns, so let’s dive into it.
# PERSONAL CONCERNS:
EROSION OF TOOTH ENAMEL
In general acidic compounds or vinegar are said to have an adverse effect on our tooth; acid basically weakens our tooth enamel on exposing it too long with acidic food beverages.
In fact, consuming too much acidic food is also suggested to be avoided cause it potential to lead to tooth decay. Studies have shown how beverages and drink affect our tooth health and gum, as well .
Undiluted form of apple cider vinegar is the most dangerous way to consume it, and that can cause tooth damage. The decay in tooth might not be visible to our naked eyes, but on the consumption of apple cider every day or on a regular basis, one may notice a weakening of tooth, pain in gum, and increase in sensitivity towards hot and cold food.
Studies have also researched on the side effects of apple cider vinegar on a tooth such as:
- One study in 2014 investigated the erosive potential of vinegar on our tooth enamel sample; it was an in-vitro study not performed directly on humans. The results showed that vinegar has tremendous erosive potential and may lead to tooth problems, in-fact the vinegar was able to cause 1-20% mineral loss from the teeth after only 4 hours.
- Another study was conducted by a researcher on a 15-yr old girl, where the girl was diagnosed for erosive tooth wear due to daily consumption of apple cider vinegar to reduce weight.
- A study in 2014 also tried to examine the effects of vinegar on tooth bleaching and found that vinegar, like white vinegar, apple cider, and hydrogen peroxide have, acts as a bleaching agent and causes color change but also slowly erode the outer layer and damages the hardness of our teeth.
The science behind it:
Tooth, as we all know, is the hardest substance in our entire body and the enamel of the teeth that is the outermost layer of the teeth is a non-living thing that is they lack any living cells in it; thus our body cannot replace the eroded parts of our teeth once it’s gone.
- Apple cider vinegar has about 1.2-8% acid content in it, with a ph. of about 2.5-3, this being the concentrated form of the ACV we get in the market.
- Use of this concentrated acid directly causes the action of the acids on our tooth, thus leading to sensitivity, erosion, and decay.
- APPLE CIDER MAY CAUSE THROAT BURN Irritation in the throat due to the drinking of apple cider vinegar can be a common side effect; the acidic content in the apple cider may cause burn in the esophageal.
Consuming concentrated form of apple cider can cause the throat burning sensation. The primary reason is said to be due to the acetic acid. Any kind of oral overuse of the apple cider vinegar eventually leads to this side effect.
Scientific studies on it:
- A study by Laura L Hill and coworkers tried to evaluate various apple cider vinegar pills and its effect on throat; they found that the pills’ misuse due to poor instructions led by the company of the pills can cause esophageal injury.
- Another study in 1994 stated that vinegar could cause some serious esophageal lesions on children
- STOMACH PROBLEMS
The effect of apple cider may vary from person to person; not everyone can digest and tolerate it well.
Vinegar, in general, is good too as a source of vitamin and minerals and can be useful to use as a salad dressing, but consuming it, especially if one has some history of stomach ache or problem, may not be an excellent idea for them.
Although it is true that apple cider vinegar gives the feeling of fullness and slows down the digestion process and the vinegar and the pungent nature of it can cause the feeling of nausea and unpleasantness among many people.
- In conditions where people suffer from gastroparesis, which essentially occurs when our stomach does not clear the food, thus keeping the food in the stomach for a long time is also not beneficial.
Thus it is always suggested to keep a track of one’s blood sugar level for people suffering from diabetics and gastroparesis.
- APPLE CIDER MAY CAUSE SKIN BURN When applied directly onto the skin in concentrated form, the high acidity of apple cider vinegar may cause skin burn.
Since our skin can be quite sensitive to any chemical-based products, acidic content in certain products and vegetables like lemons are to be avoided by many dermatologists to be applied directly on the skin.
The undiluted form of apple cider vinegar can cause skin rashes, irritation, and burn, which may require proper medical treatment further.
- Clinical reports given by The Journal of Clinical and Aesthetic Dermatology in 2015 say that a teenager cider of 14 years old ended up with chemical burns on her skin when she tried to use apple vinegar to remove her moles on her nose.
- There are other reports on skin problems and burns caused due to applying apple cider vinegar listed by National Capital Poison Center
Thus the topical application of apple cider vinegar either as a toner of face washes is not suggested, especially if it is in the concentrated form. People tend to use it as home remedies looking at various influencers and maybe on the internet itself, but it’s essential to get a clear idea of what you are getting into.
In fact, according to U.S. Food & Drug Administration and MedlinePlus, the use of other chemical exfoliates and toners such as glycolic acid and salicylic acids are much more efficient and effective unclaimed apple cider vinegar when compared .
- A FEELING OF BLOATING
Bloating is a feeling of discomfort when your belly feels all swollen after eating or in the morning, most of the time, it’s caused due to excess of gas production
Apple cider vinegar can give you a bloated feeling, as we are known by now that ACV mainly reduces the rate at which our food gets processed and digested in our body; thus, the food remains in our body for longer than usual.
This overstay of food in our body may cause gas production and cause some serious bloating problems.
- TEMPORARY LOSS OF WEIGHT
If you are one of those who have heard astonishing things about how apple cider vinegar can help you lose weight, then it’s time to rethink.
Yes, there have been several research reports where researchers have proved the effect of vinegar on our journey of weight loss, and it is true it can help you with it.
But that effect can be only temporary means, primarily because the weight that you lose would be essentially the excess of water in your body, which you might gain back as soon as you stop consuming ACV.
Few other personal concern health problems or side effects of apple cider vinegar would be:
- Uneasy Bowel movement may cause diarrhea.
- Loss of appetite may make you weak
- You may experience acid reflux
APPLE CIDER VINEGAR AND YOUR KIDNEY
One of the side effects of apple cider vinegar is that you might just have to compromise your kidney functions.
Especially people with pre-existing kidney problems or health conditions may put a strain on their kidneys if they consume apple cider vinegar on a regular basis.
Consumption of too much apple cider vinegar, the undiluted form, may cause acidosis, which adversely affects one’s kidney. However, there are reports which say the beneficial effect of ACV on kidney stone.
APPLE CIDER MAY INTERFERE WITH OTHER DRUGS.
Consuming ACV can affect the actions of other drugs that you take. Medications such as laxatives, insulin, and diuretics might get effected.
- Insulin- ACV can have a direct effect on people who take insulin as a diabetic patient.
- Drugs that are meant for lowering our potassium level or excrete potassium from our body may get affected because apple cider has an adverse effect on potassium in our body.
APPLE CIDER VINEGAR MAY CAUSE HYPOKALEMIA
Hypokalemia is a condition that is caused due to low potassium levels in our bodies.
One of the side effects of apple cider vinegar or instead consuming excessive apple cider vinegar is that it may lower down your potassium level to a great extent.
Lowering of potassium in our body can cause other effects, such as wreaking of bone and brittleness in our bone; the mineral density of our bones reduces.
Thus low potassium levels in our body cause muscle problems, bone problems, and sometimes even breathing issues. These are the symptoms of low potassium.
TIPS TO USE APPLE CIDER VINEGAR SAFELY
Tips for consuming it:
If you are someone who wants to consume the apple cider to obtain full benefits, then here are few safety tips that you should follow.
- Dilute and drink- remember most of the side effects that have been discussed above are due to intake of a concentrated form of vinegar and thus try to take 1 tablespoon(15ml) of apple cider and mix with 200ml of water and then consume it.
- Add additives that will soothe your throat- additives such as honey is recommended for your throat, drinking honey with apple cider will make the harsh effects of apple cider a little tamed down and manageable for you to drink.
- Limit the use of it– reduced the regularity and frequency at which you consume apple cider.
- Test for allergy- If you are following all the safety precautions and still get some gas problem, heartburn, or symptoms of allergies, stop drinking it immediately and test yourself for an allergic reaction.
Tips for topical applications
If you plan to use apple cider vinegar for your skincare routine, here are some tips that you can follow to avoid the side effects of apple cider vinegar on your skin.
- Dilute and apply- Just like consumption of concentrated apple cider isn’t safe, so is the application of it on your skin, thus always try to dilute it to 1:3 parts of apple cider: water.
- Use apple cider as one of the ingredients- Using apple cider as one of the many elements in your skincare can help the direct effect of the acid on your fact, for example, using it in a mask with other things like honey, aloe vera is a better approach.
- Apply some smoothening elements after the use to cool down your skin and rest after the effects of apple cider.
- Be aware of allergic reactions, as stated above.
- Don’t use it regularly– maximum once a week it’s a face mask, and if you are using it as a toner use for three times a week.
HOW TO PREVENT SIDE EFFECTS OF DRINKING APPLE CIDER VINEGAR
Now if you are someone who has already started using the apple cider and have been using it for quite some time now, then here are some of the things you can do to avoid the side effects of apple cider vinegar. And if you are someone who is still on the verge to start, then these are things you should keep in mind in order to skip the part of side effects.
- Minimize the exposure time of apple cider on your fact as well in your mouth.
- Rinse your mouth properly after every drink, either with warm water or just brush your teeth.
- Try to avoid direct contact of the apple cider anywhere near your tooth or enamel but using straws to consume it.
- Avoid drinking apple cider after meals that can cause acid reflux, try to drink in empty stomach
- Try not to apply apple cider even the diluted apple cider on any wound or open scar or pimple; it might get worst.
- Along with consuming apple cider, try to follow proper diet and exercise as well, to keep your metabolism active.
- People suffering from some health disorders such as diabetes, kidney problem, heart problem, etc. are suggested to avoid the use of apple cider.
- The most important part is kindly consulting a doctor before using apple cider to get the clear idea about the use of it in your diet or skincare.
Our approach towards new things can always lead us to uninformed details of it, apple cider vinegar today with all its claim for health and skin benefits, and also few of the research work backing them up has over shadowed the side effects of consuming it.
Thus to known and be well-informed about the positive and negative aspects of everything is important to make a wise decision, although there are no proven side effects of apple cider vinegar yet proved scientifically and is considered to be safe to use, but that is only if it is used at the proper optimal level.
In short, it won’t cause much problems for you if you follow the tips to use and avoid side effects and it’s always safe to consult a doctor before consuming or using it, especially if you are under any medications.