You must have noticed how some people tend to have seeds in their meal, well, one of those is flaxseeds. Flaxseed for weight loss has been in news in recent times but not much of us know the benefits of flaxseeds, the fact that flaxseeds are used for weight loss is totally a new concept. It is gaining popularity slowly, but due to the lack of knowledge regarding the same, we get into a dilemma.
So, if you are still wondering if flaxseeds can help you lose fat, then this article will help you know all about flaxseeds, how flaxseed help us lose fat, its benefits, and ways to consume it.
Among so many new ways that people discuss as a remedy to lose weight, flaxseeds have been the new raving way to do so. In a nutshell, flaxseed is proteinous seeds that are more mostly yellowish or brownish in appearance. Introducing flaxseed in your daily diet might become a game-changer for your weight loss journey.
In today’s world, the impact of food in our health has made us become more conscious and reluctant toward eating proper nutritious food. Flaxseeds are also considered as a superfood with richness in their nutrient composition and other properties, let find out about it more-
Overview of the article:
- WHAT ARE FLAXSEEDS
- NUTRIENT COMPOSITION OF FLAXSEEDS
- HOW FLAXSEEDS HELP IN WEIGHT LOSS
- HOW TO CONSUME FLAXSEEDS FOR WEIGHT LOSS
- OTHER BENEFITS OF FLAXSEEDS
- TIPS AND DISCLAIMERS
- BOTTOM LINE/CONCLUSION
WHAT ARE FLAXSEED-(Introduction and History)
Flax seeds very commonly termed as linseeds are seeds of the plant Linum usitatissimum, which is said to be first grown on the lands of Egypt. Still, today it has taken a toll on the world as it is cultivated in almost every other country.
The primary uses of flaxseeds were in the textile industries where they were woven into linen. Due to its strong structure and fibrous nature they were preferred to produce clothing items . Flaxseeds for weight loss was later on developed.
Another great use of the flaxseed since ages were its use as a source of oil, and they were mainly cultivated for oil and fiber production.
The flax plants were fist cultivated for its use in the textile industry, and the remaining components of the residue were further used to extract oil from the seeds. Rich in protein, fiber, and other nutrients makes it more consumable and useable.
NUTRIENT COMPOSITION OF FLAXSEED
The beneficial effects of flaxseed are mainly due to their composition. Flaxseeds are said to have some essential healing compounds that cannot be overlooked and thus are so widely used as a good place food positively influencing one’s the health and weight. The use of flaxseeds for weight loss has made it more desirable.
Few of these beneficial compounds are:
- Omega-3 Fatty Acid- Flaxseeds are highly infused with Omega-3 fatty acids. These compounds act as an anti-inflammatory agent ((diabetes, arthritis, cancer). Omega 3 fatty acids have various important activities in a human body like it prevents heart diseases, helps to lower blood pressure, etc.
- Fiber- Flaxseeds have a high amount of fiber present in their walls and within the seed. Fibers are known to have a positive effect on cholesterol, by helping the body lowering its level other than that fiber are also known to lower blood sugar level and help in having better digestion.
- Protein- Flaxseeds are known for their high protein content. Around 18.29gm of protein is present in 100gms of flaxseed.
- Photochemical- Photochemical like antioxidants are quite high in flaxseeds. They have photochemical such as lignans which are highly beneficial for regulating female hormonal balance and also promote fertility in women.
- Lignin- Flaxseeds are a good source of lignin. Lignin is said to have beneficial effects on weight loss and lowering of blood pressure as well.
- Other elements- Flaxseed also contains various minerals and vitamins like calcium and magnesium, B1, B6 etc.
HOW FLAXSEEDS HELP IN WEIGHT LOSS?
Flaxseeds for weigh loss is the most common reasons that people are including it in their daily diet and there are few reasons what makes it work so brilliantly that it is so much in market. We have tried to list down few of the most important ways by which flaxseed help in losing weight.
- Helps with digestion- better and improved digestion system can help you lose weigh in a healthy manner, due to the high content of fiber that is present in flaxseeds, it helps to make the stomach feel fuller and heavy thus prevent us from overeating and thereby suppresses our desire to eat. Our overall digestion also improves and metabolic processes are stimulated, thus making it more potent for weight loss. Studies suggest the intake of fiber as good health as it prevents obesity. Thus flaxseeds for weight loss are considered so prominently.
- Reduces inflammation- many health problems such as diabetes and arthritis cause effects on our body like weight gain. Omega 3 fatty acids in flaxseed are said to have properties to reduce inflammation, thus helping with various health disorders.
- Some studies have proven the effect of omega-three fatty acids is an effective way of losing weight, but it’s a contradicting statement as there is very little research on the same.
- Improvement in glycemic control- Flaxseeds help in controlling glycemic levels and also help to balance blood sugar levels.
- Improves gut bacteria- There are good bacteria in our gut that help us digest our food and maintain our gut and overall health. The insoluble fiber that is present in flaxseed helps to promote the growth of these good bacteria. the gut bacteria help to ferment the food into smaller compounds like fibers are converted into shorter chain fatty acids which in turn helps to improve metabolism.
- Helps in detoxification- Lignans present in flaxseeds are phenolic compounds, which act as a scavenger and anti-oxidant. Agent. And helps in maintaining diabetes
- Helps to give the body a boost- The overall metabolic activity of the body is increased by the use of flaxseeds, due to the presence of high protein the energy utilization increases.
HOW TO USE FLAXSEEDS FOR WEIGHT LOSS
What to use flaxseeds for weight loss but aren’t sure how to? Then here are few way by which you can introduce flaxseeds for weight loss.
- Make a smoothie- You can make healthy smoothies with banana and oatmeal and add 1 tablespoon of flaxseeds into it.
- How to make banana oats flaxseed smoothie
- Chop banana, dates, kiwi and blend it in a blender(only banana would also do)
- Add oatmeal
- Add milk
- Mix these together in a blender again
- Take in a glass
- Add 1-2 tablespoon of flaxseed.
- Flaxseed water
- Take a tablespoon of flaxseed
- Soak in water overnight.
- Take the water in the morning
- Add lemon(optional)
- Drink it.
- Use flaxseed oil- Just like we try to incorporate olive oil in salad dressings and other cooking methods, flaxseed oil can also be used as in salads or other food. It is recommended not to use flaxseed oil for cooking purposes or heat it in a way; it might reduce the components of the oil and make it less nutritious.
- Sprinkle on your cereal or fruit salad- you can either add the seed directly in the oatmeal preparation or on the fruit bowl as a dressing.
- Ground flaxseed for weight loss- freshly ground flaxseed are the best way to consume it.
- You can make a drink out of it by :
- hot water
- Powder flaxseeds.
- Intake as supplements- oral supplements of flaxseeds are now available can be more convenient to consume as some people might find it difficult to drink or eat.
- Sprouting the seeds- sometimes it is said that spouted for of seeds or grains have more nutrients in them than just the seed form, thus to make it more nutritional you can let the seeds be in a soaked muslin cloth and keep it overnight for 2 days, then consume it by chewing or adding in salads or sandwiches.
- Use it in baking- Flaxseeds are also used to bake breads or other kinds of baking products. It not only gives a crunchy taste but is also considered healthy to consume.
WHAT IS BETTER GROUND FLAXSEEDS OF WHOLE FLAXSEEDS?
Ground flaxseeds re said to be more effective than the usual whole flaxseed because the ground form of flaxseeds is easier for use and digestion. The absorption capacity of our body becomes easier in the case of the powered flaxseeds. Moreover, ground flaxseeds re easier to store, and its shelf life also increases as compared to oil or whole seed form.
OTHER BENEFITS OF FLAXSEEDS
Now that we know how flaxseeds for weight loss can be more than just losing weight here are few other reasons why you should consider having them. If your aim isn’t just losing weight or you want to know if there are other beneficial effects of flaxseed then here are a few of the most important and common benefits of flaxseed.
- Helps to boost the immune system
- Help to improve heart conditions
- Helps to improve hair and skin
- Reduces hypertension
- Helps to reduce blood pressure
- Has low calories
- Helps to prevent cancer
- Helps with PCOD (Polycystic ovary syndrome)
TIPS AND DISCLAIMERS
- Intake of too much of flaxseed can lead to stomach problems like irritable bowel syndrome or other bowel disorders.
- Sometimes it may also cause indigestion problems.
- Flaxseeds effect varies from person to person, and so it can act as an allergen for a few people.
- Flaxseeds effect on hormones also vary, but it may cause an imbalance in hormones thus are said to be avoided by pregnant women.
- Dehydration can cause problems while you incorporate flaxseeds in your diet due to its high fiber content; thus, it is suggested to drink ample amount of water to keep A GOOD BALANCE.
- Always try to consult a doctor before introducing yourself with few compounds or products.
- Sometimes flaxseeds also end up interacting with few drugs.
- Try not to heat the oil form of flaxseed that might oxidize the product and cause nutrient loss.
Although flaxseeds are now considered as the superfood due to its significant health benefits and its way to help in losing weight, it is not a miracle compound and thus should not be considered as a replacement for any exercise. Regular exercise and consumption of a healthy diet are recommended along with the introduction of the flaxseed in your diet that will enhance the entire process.
Having said so, it also becomes very important to consult a doctor before consuming flaxseed to understand if your health permits it or the appropriate amount for you to consume it. Expert opinion always plays by your side. With flaxseeds uniqueness and nutrients, it becomes essential for anyone to give it a try at least for not just losing weight but to benefit other health prospects.
How to eat flax seeds?
There are various ways that you can practice eating flaxseeds, few of the most potent way is to consume it with your other dietary food, using it along with oatmeal or eating it with some missed fruit bowl are the most common ways to eat flax seeds.
How can I use flaxseeds for weight loss?
Various ways to consume flaxseeds have been discussed in this article, few of them comprising of consuming it directly with fruits or salads or you can power it and drink it with water. You can also soak it in water overnight and drink the water alone or let the seeds germinated and then eat it for healthier nutrients.
How many flaxseeds should I intake daily to lose weight?
Too much of flaxseeds can cause an adverse effect on one’s body, and thus the proper intake of flaxseeds is important. To lose weight, one tablespoon of powdered or seeds is enough per day. Paring with other healthy fruits and drinks can help you gain more benefits from it.
What are better flax seeds or chia seeds-for weight loss?
The properties and benefits of both are individualistic and separate; both are well known for their capacity to help us burn fat and lose weight due to their high protein and fiber content. Thus flaxseed could help you lose weight if taken in an appropriate amount.